Saturday, August 2, 2014

Are Atheists Real?

Science is speculating that Atheists don't really exist, because, among other reasons, most people are carrying on an invisible monologue with some sort of unseen observer. While I would identify as Agnostic (but I'll be honest - I reluctantly lean toward Atheism), I can say it's true for me.

I'm not being cute when I say I have often looked up at the sky and thanked...someone or something for not making me religious. Although it seems to be commonly accepted that religion helps with hard times, when I observe religious people it seems to be doing them more harm than good. They have to deal with feeling betrayed in addition to whatever trauma they're facing. I'm grateful to be free of that.

But just because I'm talking to an invisible observer all the time doesn't mean I think that observer is really there. Some people seem to feel some sort of presence, but I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. A brick wall that isn't really there.

2 comments:

  1. Having an inner monologue or having a gratitude toward a life we have no way of truly comprehending is not synonymous with belief in a deity. Atheists are real. Real Christians are real. Sikhs, Buddhists, Muslims, pagans, agnostics all exist, because the one thing we can all agree on is that humanity is wonderfully and fearfully varied. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that, since we can't ever really know what's in someone else's heart, we have to assume that any professed belief is genuine. But I thought the reasons this article gave for there being no true Atheists were pretty weak.

      Delete