Friday, May 30, 2014

House

I've taken to watching old episodes of House. It's an act of desperation, undertaken reluctantly. It's not that it isn't a good show - oh, it is. I'd seen a few episodes in the past, and although it was intriguing, I avoided it on principle. In my opinion, the "asshole with a heart of gold" archetype is a symptom of all that's wrong with our modern world. I think our modern world is the bees knees, but we could do better, and eradicating the glorification of assholes would be a good place to start.

Despite myself, I've grown to find the predictable formula soothing, and yes, I can see that Dr. House isn't quite as bad as I thought he was. Cuddy runs interference between House, who she knows to be right even if he's a pain in her ass, and the hospital's malpractice liability. Cameron does the same on the other end, mediating for House and the patient, who he has alienated. When it's over, they may or may not consider his saving their life reason enough to forgive him. She defends him to Foreman and Chase (one of whom is repulsed by the patient for his own reasons, while the other shakes his head, completely forgetting that last week, it was he who couldn't deal with the the general public), not because hey, this happens every damn week and the boss is always right, but because she has a schoolgirl crush on him. Wilson is there to remind us not to go thinking we're any less dysfunctional than House, because look at him! He may look like he has it together, but actually couldn't refrain from cheating on his wife even if she were the only other human on earth (he'd find a way). As far as I can tell, Wilson's job description is unclear. "Look at yourself," he seems to tell the smug, judgmental audience. "I mean, really look at yourself."

But I'm in it for the patient, who has mysterious symptoms and almost dies. Halfway through the episode, House and his amazing team think they're on to something, but nope, that's not it. Have no fear - they'll figure it out the second time around. By the end, the patient is almost always on the road to a full recovery.

I've been hoping a Dr. House would come along for us for at least two years now. Someone who would take on Jeremy not because they cared, but because his case was fascinating. We have plenty of support from friends and family - I can hold Jeremy's hand, just about anyone can hold mine, so we don't need a doctor to do it. However, so far, we've found doctors who care to be the better choice. None of them are curious, except maybe our family doctor, who isn't too proud to admit it's out of his league.

The first few looked at negative results and sent him on his way, claiming nothing was wrong. Now that he has a neurologist who is both unbelievably competent and a lovely person, I get the satisfaction of knowing I was right (nice people are better than jerks, so there. Suck it!), but I also have to face the fact that Dr. House is a fictional character. Dr. Jung takes us seriously, runs every tests and takes the time to give us detailed explanations because it's her job, not because she's developed an obsessive need to figure out what's going on.

Most of the time, I think I've given up all hope of Jeremy having something treatable, let alone curable. But I suppose I haven't, because here I am, watching every damn episode of House in the hopes of seeing something I recognize. So far, I've got nothing. but I'm only on episode 9. If Jeremy resembles anyone, it's Dr. House himself. Except for being a drug addict and having a terrible personality. Well, some people might think he has a similar personality to Dr. House, but I know better. He's just intelligent and stoic, is all. Not even that stoic, actually, he just pretends to be around people he doesn't know very well. Mostly it's just the limp and the cane.

Getting older means learning you know nothing. Breaking my own rules gets easier and easier. I just love this show.





No comments:

Post a Comment